We’re all aware about the Google Launchpad accelerator which selects pre-series A startups across the globe every year to assist them scale their business. Along with this, Google Launchpad has few more offerings where they have extremely well structured programs for various stages of startups. Pregbuddy has benefited from couple of these programs as we grew our product.
We started building PregBuddy from the end of 2016. In the first half of 2017, we were heads-down focused on co-creating our product with our early set of users. PregBuddy is India’s first peer-to-peer reassurance platform for expecting mothers. Along with personalised information, we connect them based on their trimester, location, vernacular language and medical condition. Our early set of users loved PregBuddy, we were growing organically via word-of-mouth and via discovery on Google Play Store.
A year ago, in July 2017, we got into Google Launchpad Build – a 2-day super-packed program for early stage startups that connects mentors to validate their product and growth strategies. This was one of the key events in our journey of building PregBuddy.
Let me share with you how it helped us:
- Early Product Validation: The fact that Google selected a handful of startups across India was a great early product validation that we are building something good, and meaningful for our users.
- Right Mentor-Startup Matching: Google Launchpad has a huge network of mentors from within Google and industry experts in the fields of technology, product, marketing, sales and design. The Launchpad team matches each startup with the right mentors based on the challenges we’re currently facing or based on our product roadmap.
- Expert Insights: Launchpad mentors not only shared their perspectives on our product, design, and growth strategies, but also shared their insights on how we can structure our business model, focus our efforts to scale faster and what may not work based on their learnings. This was very crucial at that stage of our bootstrapping journey, as it helped us save both time and money and not repeat mistakes which others did.
- Media Coverage: Google Launchpad Build literally helped us launch PregBuddy in media with their wide media coverage. We got covered both online (YourStory, Inc42, and more) and offline in print media (Deccan Herald, Business Standard, and more). It helped us reach a wide variety of audience – users from across India, talent who wanted to work with us, and get attention from potential partners and investors from the startup ecosystem.
- Inbound Partnerships: Apart for the fact that people got to know about PregBuddy, and we got some users, Google Launchpad helped us get inbound leads from hospitals and brands, who wanted to work with us.
- Continued Support: Being a part of the Google Launchpad alumni network, the Launchpad team provides continued support with the right introductions with mentors, businesses and technology support whenever we needed.
- Recognition & Growth: The fact that you graduate from a program like Google Launchpad really opens up doors. While working closely with our inbound partners, we were able to identify much deeper challenges which we are now solving in the healthcare space.Since 2017 PregBuddy has grown from being just a small project to a company, thanks to the support of Google Launchpad. We’re humbled to be awarded by actor Akshay Kumar and Govt of India, and onboard renowned angels from Google, Uber, Times Group, YuMe, and Indian Angel Network.
Earlier this year, we were fortunate again to be a part of the 1st cohort of Google Launchpad Solve for India program, where Google selected 10 startups who are focused on solving local challenges and building experience for the next billion users coming online from India. It was at the perfect time in our journey, where our first hires got a chance to interact and learn hands-on from the Google and industry experts from this 5-day structured Launchpad program. A really great exposure for your core employees.
I’m sure you’re wondering how you can be a part of Google Launchpad, well here is your chance. Google Launchpad has recently announced an accelerator program focusing on the startups Solving for India using AI/ML technologies. If you are one of them, do apply here. So, what are you waiting for? Get on the ride, and take your startup to the next stage with Google Launchpad!
Pregbuddy made it to the Yourstory’s 2018 Tech 30 Startups